To put a TPS or not?

Post here for the brain!

To put a TPS or not?

Postby mkdubbn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:51 am

Ok I want to do a m/s on a J/H.I think the ms2 should be more than enough for what I am asking it to do.
How hard is it to build the box?I don't have any electronic part yet.
All I have so far is a intake,with a choice of two throttle bodys.One of the bodys is off a coraddo.This one has a idle switch,and a full rich,a 3 pin.The second is off a 16v passat I believe.Its a 6 pin,but it has a tps.I want to run the tps,on top of the map sensor.Is this going to be a waist of effort?I think there is a 3 pin tps sensor on e-bay.They both have Idle air control.
I was just thinking that it would respond faster to a direct signal,opposed to a reaction of the drop in vacuum.I want to use them both still.
I kind of plan on running a t3 turbo off a diesel.I hear those spool up faster,and can produce higher boost.I am only looking for 7 to 10 psi tops.I'm hunting for 150 H.P..Any more I will need a stronger tranny.
Soory I got this 2 places.
Random avatar
mkdubbn

Re: To put a TPS or not?

Postby mk1vw » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:04 am

one post, many questions.

MS2 is more than enough. MS1 on a V3 board would do you fine, but i suppose MS2 has more functions.
i built mine with hardly no previous experience. search the web for soldering tutorials. also, buy the stim in kit form and build that first to improve your soldering skills.
TPS is supposed to make the AE smoother. I didn't have a TPS TB so i went with full mapdot. my accel is not glassy smooth, but i haven't made much effort tuning it.
a diesel T3 will spool super fast on a 1.8 gas motor. i ran one on a 1.7 gasser. it spooled instantly and fell on its face by 5k. i guess this would be good for daily driving, stop-n-go, but I had to upgrade to a T3 60 series.
you are right about the tranny- soon as i upgraded my turbo and raised boost the 020's started breaking.
Random avatar
mk1vw

Postby prof315 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:13 pm

mk1vw wrote:one post, many questions.

MS2 is more than enough. MS1 on a V3 board would do you fine, but i suppose MS2 has more functions.
i built mine with hardly no previous experience. search the web for soldering tutorials. also, buy the stim in kit form and build that first to improve your soldering skills.

I agree that MS1 is sufficient however I much prefer MS2 with Extra code for the larger VE tables, better, easier toothed wheel setup and support, better (angle based) map sampling, and faster processor.

[/quote]
TPS is supposed to make the AE smoother. I didn't have a TPS TB so i went with full mapdot. my accel is not glassy smooth, but i haven't made much effort tuning it.
a diesel T3 will spool super fast on a 1.8 gas motor. i ran one on a 1.7 gasser. it spooled instantly and fell on its face by 5k. i guess this would be good for daily driving, stop-n-go, but I had to upgrade to a T3 60 series.
you are right about the tranny- soon as i upgraded my turbo and raised boost the 020's started breaking.[/quote]

TPS is nice but not essential, I have done mapdot only and it worked fine.

FINALLY somebody else who admits that 020's blow up once you get up around 140-150 whp. We started grenading 020 trannies almost everytime we went the track with the boss' race car
Jeff Linfert (The Professor)
Atlantic Auto Works
Melbourne, FL
We install and tune Megasquirt systems
prof315

Postby Lord » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:11 am

Well ms1 is enough but ms2 is more sufficient so my suggestion ms2
Random avatar
Lord

Return to Megasquirt computer