MK2 Golf 2.0 8v GTI

Step by step

Re: MK2 Golf 2.0 8v GTI

Postby iZOTOPE » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:21 am

:)

well the 16v had started, now comes the nice part of street tuning :)

as for my 8v is going strong and soon it will be FI with a kkk k24 turbo :)
Random avatar
iZOTOPE

Postby vdubjim » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

awesome!
Vintage Speedwerks
Vintage VWs / Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby iZOTOPE » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:33 am

i'm unsure about some wiring on my setup (too much info scrambled in my brain)

i'm driving the auxiliary air valve through a relay controlled by FIDLE port, my wiring is like this:

pin 30 from ecu to relay pin 85, then +12v from battery is wired to relay pin 30, then switched +12v (from ignition) is wired to relay pin 86...
and the +12v to auxiliary air valve is wired to relay pin 87, and the ground from the valve is wired to car chassis.

the way it works now: FIDLE grounds the solenoid in the relay, and the relay closes the +12v circuit for the valve.
my circuit works like a charm, but in the manual says like this:

Note that the FIdle circuit on the relay board is limited to 1.1 Amps by the polyfuse. The relay is capable of handling much more current, but the traces on the relay board are NOT. If you wish to use the FIdle relay, do not use it to drive a device that requires more than 1.1 Amps (though you can use it to drive a second relay and control much more current - like an electric fan relay)

The power on value is the setting of the port when the power is cycled to MegaSquirt® EFI Controller, before any conditions are applied. It's value is in the same sense as the triggered value, but either 0 or 1 can be active, depending on the conditional settings, the MegaSquirt® port and hardware, and the external circuit (such as a grounded or powered relay, NPN or PNP transistor, etc.). Always test to be sure you have the settings correct for your situation!

For the FIdle circuit, the trigger value is the 'same' as the LEDs, setting it to one means the FIdle pin (DB37 pin #30) will be grounded when the condition(s) is true (and grounded means that current will flow through the device you have connected, turning it 'ON'). For the other circuits, the proper trigger setting will depend on how you have wired them (which transistors, etc.), you should determine the appropriate settings directly by testing the ports.

source: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/spare.htm

i'm not using a relay board, so i'm confused a little bit, also i don't use the 1n4001 diode and the ztx450 transistor, also the circuit from the manual differs a little bit from mine.
i just wanted to know if it is ok with the ecu the way i'm doing, i don't want to fry anything :)

10x.
Random avatar
iZOTOPE

Postby prof315 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:56 am

You're fine just pulling the relay coil to ground with the Fidle.
Jeff Linfert (The Professor)
Atlantic Auto Works
Melbourne, FL
We install and tune Megasquirt systems
prof315

Postby lotar_6 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:40 am

Great work!!
Random avatar
lotar_6

Postby iZOTOPE » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:23 am

10x again prof315 :)
Random avatar
iZOTOPE

Postby iZOTOPE » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:51 am

went to drag racing event, best time on tarmac was 15.688s and 141.21km/h, and 2.454s from 0 to 60ft with street tires and normal gasoline :)
tested the car with dynolicious and it showed 116BHP and 96WHP, and 2.4s from 0 to 60ft and 9.90s from 0 to 201m.

can somebody help with some 2.0 8v ignition tables that are more agresive than mine? i know that this engine can make a little more power than that :D
Random avatar
iZOTOPE

Postby iZOTOPE » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:31 am

well the winter has passed and now i can work on my car :)
i've installed a VR sensor (BOSCH 021906433C) for crank signal, the old hall sender was broken beyond repair.
so to use the VR sensor i needed to do some changes to my ms2 unit because my setup was made for hall input, long story short:

old ms2 v3 mods:

TachSelect jumpered to OptoIn.
TSEL jumpered to OptoOut.
XG1 jumpered to XG2.
1K pull-up resistor from the 5 volts in the proto area to TachSelect.
JS10 linked to IGBTIN.
BIP373 in the Q16 slot.
IGBTOUT jumpered to IGN.
1K pull-up to 5 volts by connecting a 1K resistor from the IGBTOUT-IGN jumper to a 5 volt supply from the proto area.

new mods for VR input:

TachSelect jumpered to VRIN.
VROUT jumpered to TSEL.
removed the 1K pull-up resistor from the 5 volts in the proto area to TachSelect because it was used only for HALL input (as i've read in the manual).
the rest of the jumpers/links are the same, because i'm still using the bosch 139 ignition module.

10x to prof315 and matt for suggestions and help (http://msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=39697)

i'll post some pictures with the mods, i've replaced the soldered jumpers with jumpers used on computer motherboards (i hate soldering on a beautifull made ms2 unit :P ) so now if i want to change back to hall input i just need to place the jumpers on different pins.

stay tuned,

cheers :D
Random avatar
iZOTOPE

Postby iZOTOPE » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:09 am

the pictures as i've promised:
in the first picture you can see the jumpers selected for VR input.
in the second picture, the red marked pin is for VROUT, and the black ones are OPTOOUT and TSEL
in the third picture there is the green jumper linking TACHSELECT to VRIN, and the pin for OPTOIN.

also the two pots are fully CCW.
Attachments
Photo0088.jpg
Photo0087.jpg
Photo0085.jpg
Random avatar
iZOTOPE

Postby MichaelFoster » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:25 am

Im also an owner of a MK2 Golf. And I dont what set up to do. Any ideas? Thanks.
Random avatar
MichaelFoster

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Installs