lotar's intro...

Post something about yourself and your ride

lotar's intro...

Postby lotar_6 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:28 pm

Hey all. I'm Kyle and live in the Fingerlakes of NY. I'm active w/ Fastdubs and have been on Vortex for many years. My main ride is a '94 SLC. I autocross regularly w/ the Glen Region SCCA and do pretty well. I started building my car soon after I got it (mostly suspension/handling) and took care of the usual maintenance issues with Corrados. I started gathering parts last year to put a Vortech V2 e-trim on it and of course go standalone via MS1 v3.0. I got a used unit and imediately sent it to Paul for a once over. I'm sure glad I did.... not only did he find many soldering issues, he threw a base tune on it and has been SUPER helpful with getting me going!

Anyway, it's running but I'm having a wandering idle issue. I'll post separately about that... it's the main reason I found this site and was hoping to pick some brains. I'm using TunerStudio MS and still need to buy the data logger. I'll be doing that soon. To the fun stuff...

Engine Specifications:
Engine Misc.:
  • Innovate LC-1
  • Polished & painted 2.9L euro-clone intake manifold
  • Devil's Own Water Injection
  • Greddy RS BOV
  • Neuspeed filter
  • Neuspeed plug wires
  • Turn2 stage IV poly engine & tranny mounts
  • Mocal Sandwich Plate w/ External Oil Cooler
Drivetrain:
Exhaust:
  • Suitcase delete
  • Resonator delete
  • Otherwise Stock... for now
Wheels & Tires:
Brakes:
  • 'Precision' stainless steel brake lines
  • DE front calipers & Brembo rotors
  • Axxis Ultimate Pads
Suspension:
  • Koni coil-overs
  • Eibach 425 lbs. linear rate front springs
  • Poly suspension & front control arm bushings
  • TT rear control arm bushings
  • Autotech front (25mm) & rear (28mm) sways
  • Neuspeed front upper stress bar
  • Eurosport front lower stress bar
  • Eurosport rear upper stress bar
Interior:
  • Schroth Rallye4 driver's harness
  • Stewart Warner EGT & Boost Gauges
  • Innovate XD-16 AFR Gauge
  • A decent sound system
  • Momo pedals
  • Advanced Keyless Entry System
  • Cold Cathode trunk lighting
  • Corrado dash swap :p
Exterior:
  • Inpro projector headlights w/ light levelers
  • Smoked side markers
  • Smoked tail turn lights
  • German license plate
  • Painted badges

It's dirty... but I'll get better pics when I'm able to turn my attention to cleaning...

Made my own harness to connect to stock engine wiring...

interior has needs...

I could go on for hours about my car. But that's not why I'm here. I'll post up soon about my issues and the details of my set-up. I'm a tuning n00b, so I'll ask dumb questions, but I'm here to learn! I need to download the data logger and get some logs, then I'll be active.

Drive fast and swerve!!
Random avatar
lotar_6

Re: lotar's intro...

Postby vdubjim » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:49 am

Welcome!!
Im originally from Rochester, parents now live in Mt. Morris.
Vintage Speedwerks
Vintage VWs / Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby lotar_6 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:32 pm

vdubjim wrote:Welcome!!
Im originally from Rochester, parents now live in Mt. Morris.

Thanks for the welcome! Things don't seem to move too fast around here... I'll be posting up some questions, but for now I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get back on the road. I pulled some logs last night, so I'm going to see what kind of input I get and keep moving forward. The MegaLog Viewer seems pretty helpful so far. Just reading and tinkering.

I'm originally from Indy and transplanted out here in '99. I don't miss the flatness of the land. I do miss not having vehicle inspections.
Random avatar
lotar_6

Postby vdubjim » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:06 pm

Its a relatively new site i started, only been up 4 month i think. I was tired of searching 10 diff websites for GOOD vw megasquirt info, so thought i would try to make this.

Its a users forum, so its up to everyone to make it good if they want to!

Ive got about 3 more projects ahead of my megasquirt, but i keep putting ideas down and buying parts.

Im in OK now, no vehicle inspections and no salt on the roads ROCK! But the hail and t-nados SUCK!
Vintage Speedwerks
Vintage VWs / Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby lotar_6 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:52 am

lil' update...

So things are going pretty darn well! I've been street tuning w/ TunerStudio MS for a few months now. I've autocrossed it three times and it keeps getting better. I seem to have most of my bugs worked out, but I'm still getting backfires in the cat b/w shifts. I can't seem to figure out how to set the decel enrichment to keep fuel from dumping. My AFR spikes on the shift (as it should) but it seems some unburnt fuel still gets by. Thoughts?

Other than that, It's working very well. My boost isn't as high as I'd like, so I'll be doing bearings, seals, and a smaller pulley over the winter. I want to go to a cogged set-up, but I just can't justify the expense right now. My Greddy RS is a joke, so I'm switching to a Synapse. I'm also contemplating going back to stock compression since I see no signs of detonation at all and I'm sure I can use the extra compression safely. The external oil cooler is leaking, so I'm going to replace the heat exchanger, too. Other than that, there's not much left to do other than figure out how to get the stereo back in the car.

LMK if you need ideas for a VR6 on MS!!
Random avatar
lotar_6

Postby prof315 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:26 am

Use overrun fuel cut.
Jeff Linfert (The Professor)
Atlantic Auto Works
Melbourne, FL
We install and tune Megasquirt systems
prof315

Return to New user intro