Hello from Ellenwood, GA. Rockin the AIRCOOLEDS

Post something about yourself and your ride

Hello from Ellenwood, GA. Rockin the AIRCOOLEDS

Postby Bugman114 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Howdy yall. My name is mike (aka turbo mike). a turbo VW is pretty rare here in GA, so when one day i bought a junkyard turbo set-up, and modded it, and made it work on my bone stock 1600, in my 74 super, i thus was dubbed "turbo mike". lets see, i have a 72 super (my current daily driver), a 74 super (the experimental turbo, and son to be MS'ed motor), a sand rail (project), a 61 baja, 69 baja, and a 71 bug chassis, with a 29 mercedes benz gazelle kit body (thinkin about taking an old 36hp motor, and turboing/ MSing it as well :twisted: ). I'm 21, and have two jobs. one is at advance auto parts, the other is at a shop, that does mostly old Mercedes, hondas, toyotas, and a few MG's. Don't let my age fool you, i learn quickly. I've been into VW's for 3 years now, and in that time i've bought 7 different VW's, built four engines (2 stock motors, a 2074cc motor, and a turbo 1600 motor). But i still have a lot to learn.

Anyhoo. its awsome to see a forum just for setting up megasquirt on VW's. I would really like to get into this. I really don't know a whole lot about this. Right now all i know is that some of the set-ups use ford EDIS parts, and it can be used just for ignition management, or fuel and ignition management, its all set-up with a laptop, and corresponding software, and........ thats about it, lol. sooo, if anyone can point me in the direction of any threads that would help to further explain the actuall system, and what parts can be used, and all that stuff, that would be great. I don't want to be a clueless MS newb anymore :lol: :oops: , lol
1972 Super Beetle (daily driver, 2074cc motor)
1974 Super Beetle (Turbo 1600, soon to be MS'd)
1961 Baja Bug (project)
1969 Baja bug (project)
1971 kit car, with 1929 Mercedes Benz Gazelle kit body
Sand Rail
Random avatar
Bugman114

Re: Hello from Ellenwood, GA. Rockin the AIRCOOLEDS

Postby prof315 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:21 am

Welcome! Try www.megamanual.com for an info source on what megasquirt is and what it can do.
Jeff Linfert (The Professor)
Atlantic Auto Works
Melbourne, FL
We install and tune Megasquirt systems
prof315

Postby Bugman114 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:18 pm

Wow. simply amazing. I'm really gettin into this, tho i know i have a LONG way to go, lol. The plan right now it to just try this set-up out on my project junkyard turbo build motor. Not sure if this will even work yet or not, but i plan to just start with mostly stock FI parts from 75+ beetles. My local VW shop pretty much throws this stuff away, so i should be able to score a box of FI parts for cheap/free. a little soda blasting and it should all be good as new, lol. anyhoo, i'll first try to get this stuff to work correctly, and maybe upgrade certain parts later on.

Anyhoo, thanks for the link. Do you happen to recommend any places to get genuine bowling grippo stuff ( i think i said that right, lol)? i've been hearing that a lot of places sell knock-offs, that either work poorly, or don't work at all. Thanks again

-Mike
1972 Super Beetle (daily driver, 2074cc motor)
1974 Super Beetle (Turbo 1600, soon to be MS'd)
1961 Baja Bug (project)
1969 Baja bug (project)
1971 kit car, with 1929 Mercedes Benz Gazelle kit body
Sand Rail
Random avatar
Bugman114

Postby prof315 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:35 am

DIYAutotune.com. Jerry, Matt and the rest of their gang are the model for what a primarily E-business SHOULD be. And if you aren't sure about what you want or need you can ask here, or call or email them and they will help.
Jeff Linfert (The Professor)
Atlantic Auto Works
Melbourne, FL
We install and tune Megasquirt systems
prof315

Postby vdubjim » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Sounds like fun! Welcome!
Im about to start on that route myself, just gotta finish up some other projects first :(
Vintage Speedwerks
Vintage VWs / Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers
vdubjim
Site Admin

Return to New user intro