jrandy from CA

Post something about yourself and your ride

jrandy from CA

Postby jrandy » Thu May 27, 2010 8:31 pm

I heard about Megasquirt years ago on www.dune-buggy.com but never actually started the project for my car.
A month or so ago some friends of mine bought a kit and parts & are working their way through a T-1 installation.
It fired off a couple of days ago, but there is still much left to do & learn.
Random avatar
jrandy

Re: jrandy from CA

Postby vdubjim » Fri May 28, 2010 12:05 am

Welcome! We would love to hear about it.
Vintage Speedwerks
Vintage VWs / Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby jrandy » Fri May 28, 2010 11:48 am

Well, a few years ago I gathered up a bunch of parts to start the project for my VW based offroad car, but I got bogged down with the fabrication end of it and at the time no one in the VW scene around here had ever heard of megasquirt.
So, I sent the stuff to a friend of mine who bought a Tims System setup and ran most of my parts on a 2110.

The new project is much better.
My friends bought the kit(s) from DIY and successfully put them together- the Stim board and the Megasquirt kit.
They fabbed a plenum for a 5.0 Ford throttlebody that I found on craigslist and mated that to a Zenith center section.
They then made their own injection bungs and fuel rails using the Ford parts for dimensions. The bungs are grafted into VW end castings.
The Ford throttle body has an IAC, so they are using that & they installed the other sensors into the plenum.
Fuel pump is from an Econoline van and the pressure regulator is Mustang 5.0.
I had some terminal blocks, so they connected the Megasqirt harness to one side of those and the sensor leads to the other.
They are using a Volvo relay/fuse box as well.
So, they decided to test the fuel pump and the engine started, then quit.
After some sensor calibrating they tried again and the engine ran better & then fell off of the milk crate when revved up and would not restart. Bummer...
The board showed error codes and it took a while to figure it all out with some online help, but they got it fired up again last night. It was running very lean to the point of not running, so they double the VE settings and now it runs without stalling.
Random avatar
jrandy

Postby vdubjim » Fri May 28, 2010 11:52 am

Sounds cool.
Post up the build if you get time in the build section, and the maps when you get them tuned too.
Vintage Speedwerks
Vintage VWs / Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers
vdubjim
Site Admin

Return to New user intro