FI Beetle - German Plenum/TB,EDIS,MS1,K24 Turbo

Step by step

FI Beetle - German Plenum/TB,EDIS,MS1,K24 Turbo

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:06 pm

I was requested to share my info over here as well. This should be all the same info as seen over on ShopTalkForums, but wanted to share here as well.

Hey everyone! I thought I'd share my progress on my EFI build on my '67 Beetle. The plan is to use the German plenum and throttle body with CB's end-castings for induction, and use MS-1 with extra code to run the injection and EDIS ignition. Long term plans include a turbo, but that's further down the road. I got all my parts through Mario at The Dub Shop, and I have to say he gave me EXCELLENT service. I would not hesitate to send anyone his direction if your needing parts. I ordered the kit because I knew that it would be easier to pull all of the parts together. My goal is to learn the basics of MS, but at the same time I didn't want to keep my car down too long while I tried to source all the needed items, so the ready to build kit really appealed to me.

Here is everything that I got through Mario. As upgrades to his basic kit, I ordered the optional CB end-castings with 24lb/hr injectors, and LC-1 wideband. In addition to this, since he knew I was planning on going with the relay board for wiring, he made me a relay cable (saved me $70 from buying on from DIY) and a wiring harness.

Now I have to brag on Mario some more, I was just expecting a bundle of wires for the harness, but he made me a custom harness with the ends terminated and wires grouped in woven loom and heat shrinked ends just because he was feeling generous. You don't find too many people like that. Here is the harness:

Here is the plenum, injectors, and end castings

The ECM and relay cable

Fuel rails

His info (shameless plug)

Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam in San Antonio, TX
1967 Beetle - 1915cc, Gaurds Red
2000 GTi GLX - VR6, Cosmic Green
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Re: FI- Beetle Build - German Plenum/TB,EDIS, & MS1

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:06 pm

The first thing I did was trial fit the plenum (note - while the engine is out I'm replacing tin and some other odds and ends, so don't mind the mismached paint. Everything will be cleaned and painted before final install)

I mounted up the 36-1 wheel to my pulley, and made a VR mount out of some stainless I had lying around

I then put in the new hole for the throttle cable. The FI beetle's throttle cable is about 4 inches over from where the original throttle tube went.

Here you can see the difference in distance

Now I came out a little high on the back side of the shroud. I put a slight arc in my throttle tube and was able to get the end down where I needed it to clear the body.

Been running the orignal generator on the car for a long time, but decided to go ahead and bump up to an alternator to give me some extra juice. Figured with the MS and running my laptop on a DC inverter, I'd give the charging system a little bump.

Put my belt on, and found out I'll need just a little more trimming on my VR sensor mount.

That's all for now.. made good progress tonight

Adam in San Antonio, TX
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Lastly, the car its going in

The engine is a 1915cc.
AS41 case
Scat 69mm CW Crank (cast unfortunately, it will be replaced before any major boost)
Mahle 94's
MOFOCO Hydro cam (mild grind)
MOFOCO 042 heads - unported
Standard header w/hideaway muffler
Not a big HP machine, but a nice tourqey driver
Adam in San Antonio, TX
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Ok.. so I spent some time after work on the lathe tonight to turn down my distributor plug. I could have just spend $30 from boostengineering.com to get a plug already made, but whats the fun in that right? :D This didn't cost me anything but my time and a scrap piece of aluminum.

Here it the lathe

What I started with was a square piece of aluminum stock. I've already started to mill on it here.

Action shot

Got it round

Another action shot, cutting below the main shoulder

Once I got it turned down correct OD for the shoulder and the shaft, I then used the cut off tool to cut the o-ring grove

After that, I backed the cut off tool up to the top end to cut it off of the stock

After a little clean-up, its done!

Now I just need to figure out how to get a lathe in my garage :lol: My job has its perks!
Adam in San Antonio, TX
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:08 pm

Ok.. made a little more progress. Spent the weekend cleaning up the all the tin and doing some painting. Then this afternoon I started doing final fitting on all of the parts. Still need to get the intake runners put on and a few other odds and ends, but getting closer. Still got a ways to go yet, I haven't even started wiring the car yet, or running the new fuel line, etc, etc...

A few pics...

The right hand intake and fuel rail. I'll have a small pressure gauge sitting on top of the rail so I can see whats going on when I'm working on it.

Top view

The left hand rail and CLT sensor.. I had a heck of a time getting those injectors installed. They went into the rails fairly easily, but the lower end of the injector wouldn't push into the manifold until I started to crank down on the rail hold down bracket

and the EDIS wheel and sensor, and my fancy distributor plug :mrgreen:

Hopefully after the holidays I can really get a jump on the rest of the car and get it finished
Adam in San Antonio, TX
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Postby vdubjim » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:16 pm

AWESOME!!
can you do me a favor and measure the height from the cylinder tin, like where it says 1, 2, 3, 4 to the top of the fuel rail?
Vintage Speedwerks
Vintage VWs / Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:10 pm

vdubjim wrote:AWESOME!!
can you do me a favor and measure the height from the cylinder tin, like where it says 1, 2, 3, 4 to the top of the fuel rail?

6.75" from the tins to the top of the fuel rail

sorry I didn't respond sooner, just got home from visiting family over Christmas
Adam in San Antonio, TX
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Postby vdubjim » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:06 pm

No prob. You may have seen my other post, im trying to figure out what to do on my notchback. TINY engine compartment :(
Vintage Speedwerks
Vintage VWs / Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:37 pm

Did a little more fitting on the engine. Got the intake runners installed, gasket cut for the oil filler and it installed, throttle position sensor installed, air filter, and some other small bits.

Honestly, I don't really care for the air filter. It looks a little out of place, and a little ricey. Unfortunately, I haven't found any better options at the moment, so it will have to do.

Intake runners:

tps mounted:

fuel pressure gauge on the rail. Its just temporarily screwed in until i get some sealant for it.

topish view

Hope to get the new supply line run this weekend, and start with some of the wiring. Getting closer, but still plenty to be done.
Adam in San Antonio, TX
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Love having days off of work... since I actually had a good bit of uninterrupted time, I made a lot of headway with a couple of the big tickets tasks left to do.

My number one job today was getting the new supply line run from the front to the back of the car. I went back and forth on how I was going to run it, and on where I wanted to terminate it. I really wanted to run it through the tunnel like the factory line, but couldn't come up with any good way to run it through with the car assembled. I know there are folks that have replaced the factory line without the car apart, but adding another line was bringing up too many challenges. I didn't want to just run it through the tunnel with out being able to fasten it down securely, and I couldn't come up with a good way to do that. So after much debating on where else to run it, I settled on running it along the outside edge of the drivers side pan. This let me get it up and out of the way, and also let me get my supply and return lines close together at the back of the car.

I ran it in the channel where the body is bolted down. I only had a few line clips in my stash, so I'll be adding a few more clips to the line when I get some more. That should get it pulled up next to the channel all the way down the line (its still a little wavy looking from unrolling the tubing)

I popped out of the channel in the front fender well which left the line terminating right at where I mounted the new fuel pump

In the back I just rounded the corner of the pan and terminated it with my AN fitting. I'll be running from here up to my fuel rail with stainless braided line.

Got my cross over hose made up as well. I wanted to run stainless braided line with AN fittings for as much as the high pressure system as I could. The kit came with rubber fuel injection rated lines and clamps, but I wanted to take it a step further with the AN fittings. The only place I've used the rubber lines is the jumper between the pump and supply line, and the jumper to the fuel pressure regulator

I used some existing threaded holes on the puma shroud to mount up my fuel pressure regulator. I fabbed a little bracket out of some aluminum plate. Should make it easy to adjust fuel pressure with easy access to the gauge and regulator.

My return from the the regulator crosses back over through some stainless tubing to the other side of the engine compartment and terminates near the supply side on the opposite rail. That way both supply and return lines are in one spot for easy maintenance or engine removal.

Anyways.. making some progress. Engine is just about ready to be put back in the car. All that's really left is wiring wiring wiring..
Adam in San Antonio, TX
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Next

Return to Complete Installs