FI Beetle - German Plenum/TB,EDIS,MS1,K24 Turbo

Step by step

Re: FI- Beetle Build - German Plenum/TB,EDIS, & MS1

Postby vdubjim » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:28 pm

Vee Dub Nut wrote:Image

LOOKS GREAT!!! :o :o

I just noticed when i quoted your picture, your engine harness connect block thingy. Thought of making a plug of some kind to clean it up?
Vintage Speedwerks
Vintage VWs / Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:14 pm

Yea.. thats been in the car for a long time. It made it real easy to make a removable engine harness that could be changed as the engine evolved without hacking the original wiring harness in the car over and over. I've been through several different carb set-ups, as well as cooling system, and distributor changes. I liked the flexibility that the terminal strip gave me.
Adam in San Antonio, TX
1967 Beetle - 1915cc, Gaurds Red
2000 GTi GLX - VR6, Cosmic Green
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:13 pm

Got some more parts headed my way for the build... including this guy

Adam in San Antonio, TX
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Got my turbo in today :twisted:

I did a little quick test fitting to determine how much tubing I need to buy for the intake and charge pipe. I'll be ordering everything in stainless and welding it up at work. Still undecided on whether I'm going to polish the stainless, or powdercoat black.

Shouldn't be too much longer now...
Adam in San Antonio, TX
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Got a little more done at work today..

So my KKK K24 has a slightly different flange than a normal T3 turbo. I knew this going into it, but had read online that with some quick re-drilling of a T3 flange, the K24 will bolt up.

Here you can kind of see the flange on the K24

First I thought it would be a pretty easy modification, until I got the header to work and realized that the number four and three primary tubes were in the way. No matter what we tried, we couldn't get any of the tooling in the mill close enough to the turbo flange without hitting the primarys. Our solution.. cut if off the header for easy access.

Yikes... I'm not a big fan of cutting on a brand new $250 header, but you got to do what you got to do.

With the end cut off, it was real easy to chuck up in the mill and bore new holes for the smaller K24 flange.

I brought the cut off part home to verify if fits the turbo, and it does. So tomorrow we'll be tig'ing it all back up.

My other plans for tomorrow include modifying my oil sender adapter for my turbo feed, doing a slight mod to my turbo feed flange, and modifying my FPR adjusting screw so its boost referenced.

Adam in San Antonio, TX
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Re: FI Beetle - German Plenum/TB,EDIS,MS1,K24 Turbo

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:03 pm

A little more progress today...

Got the header back in one piece. :mrgreen:

Drilled my oil pressure/temperature adapter and tapped if for 1/8NPT so that I can put in the turbo feed here.

Lastly I got my bolt modified for my FPR so that it will be boost referenced. I started out with the original bolt at first, but when trying to drill the hole through the center on the lathe, I broke off the bit in it. So in a pinch, I found another bolt the same size and modified it instead.

Here you can see the heads and the hole that I bored down through it.

Here is the profile view of the bolts. I used the lathe to turn down the end of the bolt, and then put the taper in with the bench grinder. Here you can also see the cross hole that lets the pressure onto the top side of the diaphragm.

Lastly I will solder in a small piece of the 1/8" tubing so that I can attach my line to the plenum

Thats all for tonight. I'll be painting up the header and installing it and the turbo this weekend. I've ordered all my stainless tubing and silicone couplings for the charge pipe, and they should be here on Saturday. Then I just have to wrap up the exhaust, and get oil lines made for my full flow and turbo feed and drain.

Almost there! :mrgreen:
Adam in San Antonio, TX
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:44 pm

Got my stainless tubing in today. Got the charge pipes all cut and sorted out. The only thing I'm lacking is the 45 degree coupling between the turbo and charge pipe (ignore the straight coupling that is currently holding things together).

Getting closer! :mrgreen:
Adam in San Antonio, TX
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Postby vdubjim » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:39 pm

:shock: :shock:
Vintage Speedwerks
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby Vee Dub Nut » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:03 pm

So close I can almost taste it... :twisted:

Been busy the past few days. I dropped the engine out again and changed the engine mounts out. The ones I had in there were a little questionable, and the more I thought about it, even though that was the last thing that I wanted to do, I figured now was the best time to drop the engine and change the mounts.

Today I spend the day hooking everything back up, installing the header/turbo, dump pipe, charge pipes, diverter valve, etc...

Here are some pics:

Tomorrow I have to mount my full flow filter, and hook up my wideband. I'll also measure all the line lengths so that I can get my full flow lines, turbo feed and drain, and wastegate reference line made up next week.

I'm looking to start her up next weekend! Here's hoping I don't break anything! :shock:
Adam in San Antonio, TX
Random avatar
Vee Dub Nut

Postby vdubjim » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:40 pm

for lines you might think of aeroquip fittings, they are steel, high quality and CHEAP. like 10.00 each, and the line is teflon inner stainless outer and is also VERY reasonable.
ALSO you can assemble it yourself without special tools!
Vintage Speedwerks
vdubjim
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Installs