2.2 PCB w/ ABA swap compatibility

Post here for the brain!

2.2 PCB w/ ABA swap compatibility

Postby ojeeztutone » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:20 pm

I am looking at getting a v2.2 PCB + wiring harness for the ABA swap i am doing as long as i can control all my components with it. Spark do i need to run a 4 window distrib or can i run off ckp? i am staying with single coil for now. I dont care about IAC i can tweak the idle to where i want it with my lumpy cam anyways. Just wondering if i should purchase this unit or get a newer model...
Random avatar
ojeeztutone

Re: 2.2 PCB w/ ABA swap compatibility

Postby prof315 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:59 am

While a v2.2 board will work you'd have to build a VR conditioner circuit to use the ckp and a 4 window dizzy won't be nearly as accurate as a 60-2 tooth wheel. Get a V3.0 or V3.57 board. Either MS1 or MS2 will work, I prefer MS2 with Extra code personnally. Again while not absolutely needed, I like using a BIP373 for coil control. Works great with the old style Bosch coils or an MSD blaster coil.
Jeff Linfert (The Professor)
Atlantic Auto Works
Melbourne, FL
We install and tune Megasquirt systems
prof315

Postby mkdubbn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:24 am

Is the v 2.2 Ms2?
Random avatar
mkdubbn

Postby ojeeztutone » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:24 pm

how do i get ahold of paul vr6 and chat about the possibilities i could run. I may just end up having him configure one for me as i have a sh*t ton of stuff going on right now and i would like it to be as painless as possible, however i am on a budget and would like to avoid dropping over 500 bux on the setup.
My plans are for 83.5mm 10.5:1 pistons, complete bottom end rebuild and balance rotating assembly. 270* autotech cam, all lightweight valve train components, PnP head. Stock 1.7 accessories on the ABA block (alternator is only accessory driven off belt) I have the entire engine harness and will be buying the components i dont trust re-using like oil sending unit, oil pump etc.
Random avatar
ojeeztutone

Postby prof315 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:51 am

ojeeztutone wrote:how do i get ahold of paul vr6 and chat about the possibilities i could run. I may just end up having him configure one for me as i have a sh*t ton of stuff going on right now and i would like it to be as painless as possible, however i am on a budget and would like to avoid dropping over 500 bux on the setup.
My plans are for 83.5mm 10.5:1 pistons, complete bottom end rebuild and balance rotating assembly. 270* autotech cam, all lightweight valve train components, PnP head. Stock 1.7 accessories on the ABA block (alternator is only accessory driven off belt) I have the entire engine harness and will be buying the components i dont trust re-using like oil sending unit, oil pump etc.

So buy a V3.0 MS1 unit from KPTuned or DIYAutotune, I don't know how much KPTuned (paul vr6) charges but DIYAutotune wants 329 for one and they will configure it for your specific application. Do youself a favor and don't use the factory harness except for sensor connectors that you need. The ABA harness is junk, the wires are such small gage that they break all of the time often internally so you are chasing hard to find wiring issues. I've done 4 successful ABA megasquirt installs in the last year or so including the one in my dd Corrado.
Atlantic Auto Works
Melbourne, FL
prof315

Postby ojeeztutone » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Well that is BA! So i just need the v3 board w/ a wiring harness that i will cut to fit my app, and a tuning cable that i will need correct? Use the factory connectors, not the whole harness. Past that its all the motor on my end and all the trinket parts i need still. Does that sound correct?

PS. You are awesome! Your insight makes me giddy for this thing to run :lol: :lol:
Random avatar
ojeeztutone

Postby prof315 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:39 am

ojeeztutone wrote:Well that is BA! So i just need the v3 board w/ a wiring harness that i will cut to fit my app, and a tuning cable that i will need correct? Use the factory connectors, not the whole harness. Past that its all the motor on my end and all the trinket parts i need still. Does that sound correct?

PS. You are awesome! Your insight makes me giddy for this thing to run :lol: :lol:

Pretty much, I personally prefer MS2 to MS1 but no matter whuch processor you choose either a 3.0 or 3.57 board set for VR tach input and direct control of a single coil is what I use for most ABA setups. Mine has a second coil driver installed as I use a GM waste spark coilpack. I also like using GM coolant and air temp sensors but you can configure the software/firmware for VW sensors with Easytherm if you run MS1 and MS2 has a utility built into the tuning software. (Use Tuner Studio it has some really awsome features that megatune doesn't)
Atlantic Auto Works
Melbourne, FL
prof315

Postby ojeeztutone » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:37 pm

well i got my MS2 v 3.57 setup this week and am looking to program all my sensors into the computer. How do i setup the 60-2 vr sensor? I am planning on using all ABA components for the setup (IAT CTS, Cranksensor, etc. Also can i wire a knock sensor in? if someone has a detailed writeup on this that would be awesome. I am looking for as turnkey a installation as possible when i get my motor back from the machine shop.
Random avatar
ojeeztutone

Postby vdubjim » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:48 pm

Vintage Speedwerks
Vintage VWs / Custom Vinyl Graphics and Stickers
vdubjim
Site Admin

Postby prof315 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:00 am

ojeeztutone wrote:well i got my MS2 v 3.57 setup this week and am looking to program all my sensors into the computer. How do i setup the 60-2 vr sensor? I am planning on using all ABA components for the setup (IAT CTS, Cranksensor, etc. Also can i wire a knock sensor in? if someone has a detailed writeup on this that would be awesome. I am looking for as turnkey a installation as possible when i get my motor back from the machine shop.

The best thing you can do is start out by loading MS2/extra firmware v2.10d into the ECU. To use the 60-2 sensor first put a 10K ohm resistor somewhere in the signal wire from the sensor to the MS. This will make it easier to get a clean signal throughout the rpm range. Without one you may find it won't rev above 3000 rpm. Running a knock sensor requires some work the easiest way to do it is to buy a Knocksense MS kit. I'll post a basic ABA msq that should help you out a bunch as far as most of the settings go but please note, it will get you running, but you will stilll need to make adjustments for your particular motor.
Atlantic Auto Works
Melbourne, FL
prof315

Next

Return to Megasquirt computer